Tuesday Bowling League Rules 2016-2017
1. The League is to be sanctioned with the United States Bowling Congress (USBC) and all bowlers must fill out a sanction card and pay the USBC dues before bowling their first series of the season. With the exception of the rules contained in this document, USBC rules shall govern this League.
2. A scheduled three game series is considered a competition meeting.
3. Individual bowling fee will be $17.00 per bowler, $85.00 per team, per competition meeting. $55.00 ($11.00 x 5) per team will be the lane fees and $30.00 per team will be deposited in an account with The Game of Mentor bowling and will be withdrawn at the end of the season by Treasurer or Secretary.
4. A backer’s fee of $40.00 per team must be paid by 7th scheduled week of bowling.
5. Secretary salary is $50.00 per team, plus $100 for office expenses. The Secretary fee is to be paid out of the prize money at the completion of the season and only after the secretary has submitted (a.) the final averages to the Lake-Geauga Bowling Association Secretary and (b.) the books have been audited. The office expenses will be withdrawn when needed. The Treasurer salary is $12 per team and is to be paid out at the end of the season, when prize money is fully dispersed.
6. No team account may fall more than 5 times the individual bowling fee in arrears. All team members are responsible for team arrears. Any team that falls more than 5 times the bowling fee in arrears will forfeit the 15 team points beginning the night that are first over the amount. Teams will be given an opportunity to pay immediately to avoid forfeiture. Returned checks, including any service fees, are the responsibility of all team members. If unpaid, backer’s fees are added to arrears on and after the 8th week.
7. The Board of Directors shall consist of the President, Vice-President, Secretary, Treasurer, and the Team Captains.
8. Championship competition will consist of 30 of regular competitions and 2 weeks of Playoffs between August and May of each bowling season. Specific meeting dates are to be finalized by a Board of Directors meeting prior to the start of the season, and must be approved by a majority vote of The Board of Directors.
9. The season shall consist of three 10 week thirds. There will be one position round to end the third. In the event that there is a tie for position, total pins, including handicap will constitute the tie breaker.
10. There shall be thirty points awarded per competition meeting. Each Game will have nine points awarded, which consists of 5 head-to-head points and 4 team points. Finally there will be three points awarded for team series.
11. The active team roster shall be limited to ten bowlers. All team rosters must be set before the thirteenth meeting. After this date, no bowler may be added to the roster without 75% approval of the Board of Directors.
12. To qualify for individual prizes, a player must have bowled 60 games.
13. Members may not simultaneously participate in another league while bowling in this league.
14. The treasurer and secretary will each maintain an accounting of league funds and compared regularly.
15. A team’s handicap will be determined by 90% of the difference between the team’s average and 1200 with a 100% back spot for averages over 1200. In the case a team has less than a full line up of five bowlers for a competition meeting the following shall apply:
a) Only a bowler who has paid sanction and bowled at least one competition session may be used then:
i. The actual average of the absentee bowler with the MOST games bowled shall be used for the determination of the handicap. That bowler’s average, minus ten pins, shall be used as the score for each game.
ii. A team with less than five members on their roster or a team with no absent bowler who has sanctioned and bowled at least once shall use 150 for the handicap and the score for the game.
16. Individual Handicap is 90% of the difference between the bowler’s average and 240 with 100% back spot for averages over 240.
17. Individual starting averages will be determined in the following order of precedence for all individuals:
i. Last year’s average in this league with 21 games or more.
ii. Highest average in the last three years in the Lake-Geauga Bowling Association
iii. Highest average from another Association, if verifiable, or
iv. For bowlers with no average, their average will be determined after their first complete competition series. Bowlers may not establish an average during a position round.
18. Averages will not change for the first three (3) weeks or nine (9) games for each returning bowler and bowlers with a book average. Averages will be recalculated weekly for all new bowlers.
19. Shadow balls may be thrown during the House designated time period, only (one ball per lane on a rotating basis). There shall be no resetting of pins during the shadow bowling period. The rotation may continue until the House resets the lanes for league play. Bowlers, who wish additional practice before the shadow bowling period, may do so on lanes that are not designated for league use.
20. Starting time is 6:45 P.M. for competition. Shadow bowling shall begin at 6:30 P.M. A team must have a legal lineup of at least three (3) bowlers at the beginning of the competition. Lane courtesy shall consist to one (1) bowler on either side. The bowler to the right has preference when two (2) bowlers step up at the same time.
21. A team using a substitute bowling will be governed by USBC rules.
22. All members may vote at the organizational meeting and at the Election of Officers Meeting at the end of the season.
23. If necessary, a league meeting may be held once the season has begun. There must be a quorum of the Board of Directors. A quorum shall be declared only if there is at least 75% of the Board of Directors is present. Only the Board of Directors may vote. A meeting may be called at the discretion of any league officer provided that there is notification to all members of the Board of Directors.
24. League rules may be added, deleted, or modified during the season by 100% representation and vote of the Board of Directors. Changes may not be retroactive. Any other vote (for example: USBC override, schedule change, or sanction change) will require a 75% approval of the Board of Directors.
25. Trophies shall consist of Sponsor and Individual trophies for the League Champions, High Game, High Series, and High Average. The trophies will be supplied by the House.
26. In addition to the regular duties of the office, the Vice President will be responsible for the organization of the Awards Banquet, which shall be held no later than two weeks after the season ends.
27. All disputes must be resolved before the recap sheet is turned into the secretary. All disputes will be mediated according to the following steps and time schedule:
i. By the two captains in the competition.
ii. By the League secretary or other League officer in the absence of the secretary.
iii. By a meeting of the Board of Directors before the next scheduled competition night
iv. By written correspondence from the Lake- Geauga Association Secretary.
v. By USBC, in writing, following the decision that was rendered.
28. All matches in the playoff system will follow the same format as weekly matches. To bowl in the first position round, a bowler must have 3 game bowled for the season. To bowl in the second position round, a bowler must have 6 games bowled for the season. To bowl in the third position round, a bowler must have 9 games bowled for the season. To bowl in the Playoffs, a bowler must have 12 games in for the season. All ties will be contested with additional game (9 points – 5 man and 4 team) until someone wins.
The point leaders of each third and the wild card will have a two week playoff, unless a team wins all three thirds outright, then that team is the league champion. If a team wins two thirds, then that team gets a bye in week 31 and will face the winner of the other third winner and the wildcard match in week 32. If all three thirds are won by different teams, the playoff will be as follows: The team with the most wins for the entire season will face the wild card team and the other 2 teams will be paired off in week 31 of the season. The winners will bowl for the championship in week 32.
29. Week 31 will have a singles tournament and week 32 will be a doubles tournament.
30. Bowlers, arriving tardy for the first game, have until the first ball is thrown in the fifth frame to begin bowling. For any subsequent game, a tardy bowler may bowl if the game has not begun. This rule may be waived, in the event of inclement weather, by the Board of Directors.
31. Prize lists for the season will be drafted by the fifth week and will be voted upon by the Board of Directors no later than the first competition meeting in November.
32. Any 50/50 raffles or other games must be documented and all monies kept in the League’s bank account and a separate record be kept. Games must have published rules and copies of the rules must be provided to the captains by the 2nd week of league play.
33. In the event that a team must bowl unopposed due to a forfeit or bye situation, the team will not earn the game points if they are more than 50 pins below their team average. The team must earn at least four game points to earn the 3 points for series. The individual game point is won when bowling not more than 10 pins below the bowler’s average. If 1 game is won, the team automatically wins the 3 points for total.